IPvocate, the Intellectual Property Department of CEW & Partners – offers its customers a complete service in the field of trademarks, designs, copyright and neighboring rights, databases, domain names or patents and know-how, both, in contentious and contractual matters.
Our team is multilingual, allowing us to process our customers’ files in French, Dutch, English or German.
We defend the interests of our customers before civil, commercial and criminal courts as well as before the administrative authorities of the Intellectual Property Offices. Whenever possible, we encourage negotiation, settlement of disputes or alternative dispute resolution.
We also assist our customers in negotiations with the European Union and other international organizations in Brussels (e.g. World Customs Organization).
Our approach is pragmatic and suited to the needs of our demanding customers, mainly composed of multinational companies and foreign colleagues.
Our team has extensive experience in the management of intellectual property rights portfolios. We are recognized for our expertise in the fight against counterfeiting and other intellectual property infringements.
We advise our customers in the negotiation and drafting of contracts, both nationally and internationally.
Our department is also specialized in peripheral areas of intellectual property such as market practices and unfair competition, distribution contracts, research and development, ICT.
Since 2013, the department has been recognized by the magazine World Trademark Review and one of its partners has been recognized and recommended as an expert in the fight against counterfeiting. The department is also included as an expert in Legal 500.
We have a network of international correspondents specialized in intellectual property rights and also a firm specializing in intellectual property in Africa, Ipvocate Africa Law Firm (www.IPvocateAfrica.com ).
Management of Intellectual Property Rights
We assist our customers in the development and management of their trademark portfolios, designs, patents, plant variety rights, geographical indications, domain names and related business, including
- Registration procedures at national, European and international level
- Updated trademark registers according to the evolution of the company
- Search for prior registrations and availability reviews
- Organization of brand awareness surveys
- To defend the interests of our customers before BOPI and OHIM administrations and in administrative proceedings against third parties (opposition, actions for cancellation)
- Management and audit of intellectual property rights portfolios, organization of monitoring, management of renewals
- Licenses and transfers of intellectual property rights
- Arbitration procedures and legal proceedings
Fight against counterfeiting
Our department is recognized for its expertise in defense against infringements of intellectual property rights.
We assist our customers in actions for violation of their intellectual property rights at both civil and criminal levels.
We develop anti-counterfeiting strategies, including:
- Investigate (with the help of authorized detectives) to identify counterfeit products on the market as well as supply chains.
- To stop the marketing of counterfeit products and services on the market as well as on e-commerce sites
- To work in collaboration with the police and economic inspection to eliminate counterfeit products and dismantle networks.
- To collaborate with Customs to retain counterfeit products at the borders.
- To file civil and criminal actions to fight infringements of intellectual property rights, including the coordination of actions to fight counterfeiting at international level. For this, we have a network of colleagues specialized in intellectual property and a firm specializing in intellectual property in Africa, the Ipvocate Africa Law Firm IPvocateAfrica.com.
- To retrieve domain names illegally used.
- To assist our customers in interacting with the European Union and its bodies (including the European Commission, Europol, Olaf and the European Intellectual Property Attorney) as well as other organizations based in Brussels.
We have been able to assist our customers successfully in very complex cases
Market Practices and Unfair Competition, Commercial Law
As intellectual property is closely related to market practices and unfair competition, we assist and advise our customers in these areas, including:
- Commercial litigation: contractual breach, unfair competition.
- Lawful and illicit comparative advertising
- Unfair competition in the broad sense (defeat, termination of established commercial relations, etc.)
Our department also specializes in peripheral areas of intellectual property, such as commercial contracts and licensing agreements, distribution contracts, research and development contracts, ICT contracts and the drafting of general conditions for sale or purchase.